This is Safer Gambling 2022, the year that definitive changes to the way you gamble take effect. You need to know what changes are heading your way. Safer Gambling is something that we think everyone that gambles should get behind. Our aim is to make players aware of gambling safety and the tools that websites offer to help.
The 2022 Gambling review will be looking at stronger online protections for both players and products, as well as a greater emphasis on age limits and verification. You need to be 18+ to gamble, and this is going to be enforced with the use of age verification software and greater account controls. Gambling platforms will be legally responsible for proof of ID. Advertising, sponsorship and branding are all going to be impacted too.
What is “Safer Gambling”?
Safer Gambling through the eyes of the gambling platform is all about them protecting you while you gamble responsibly. Providing a safe place to gamble is a small part of the process. It also covers advertising regulations and rules set in place to ensure that you are not unduly coerced into addictive gambling behaviour and that the “responsible” part is not underplayed.
Safer Gambling as a player is all about you knowing your limits. First and foremost, you need to be in control of your gambling.
- Know your financial limitations. Gambling is never free, regardless of what the bonus offer suggests, there is always a price to pay.
- Understand the game you’re playing. As a new player, you can be unaware of the rules of the game, or the stakes that are required. A game advertised with a £500 pot and tickets starting at 5p each doesn’t automatically start you off on the lowest ticket price level. You need to set the limit before you spin. It’s an easy mistake to make!
- Recognise the signs of addiction. Gambling offers something that none of the other paid entertainment industries offers, the chance of getting your “entry fee” back with interest. Stick £1 in a slot and walk away with £50, and you have made a serious profit, but when that win doesn’t come and you are still chasing that pot £50 later, then you have a problem.
Safer Gambling 2022 signs of Gambling Addiction
- Spending more money and time on gambling than you can afford
- Finding it hard to manage or stop your gambling
- Lying about your gambling or hiding it from other people
- Chasing your losses or gambling to get out of financial trouble
- Gambling until all your money is gone
Every gambling website offers advice on safe play and advocates the use of safe play tools, such as setting limits. Limits can be in various forms, from financial limits to time limits.
Deposit limits. Set a maximum deposit per day/week/month. This helps keep your gambling spending within the financially acceptable limits that you can afford.
Loss limit. An important part of gambling responsibly is knowing when to walk away. Set a loss limit and regulate the amount that you lose over a period of play. This stops you from chasing that elusive win that always seems to be just a couple of spins away.
Time limit. When you are on a roll and the pennies are starting to add up, it is sometimes hard to control the amount of time that you spend gambling. Set a timer and give yourself a dedicated limit regardless of how well or bad you are doing.
Never chase your losses. It’s never a good idea to think that you can win back the losses that you have made by playing longer or upping the stakes. Leave it there and come back another day. Only play what you can afford to lose. If you have to borrow to gamble, then you need to stop!
Advice and Support
Help is never far away in the gambling world, and not just during Safer Gambling 2022, so check out all the FREE gambling help and support networks that offer advice and counselling. We have listed a few sites that have a dedicated team ready and willing to assist in any gambling related issues that you are someone you know might have.
#SaferGambling2022 #SaferGambling #Gambling #GambleResponsibly #ResponsibleGambling #GambleAware #SafePlay
18+ players only. Wagering requirements apply.
Bonuses, Games and Wagering requirements may change. Please read full T&C’s before playing.